AI Dungeon Review 2026: Is This Infinite Text Adventure Worth Your Money?
AI Dungeon vs Reality: Why I Quit Traditional RPGs for This (Honest Review)
Let me set the scene. I was sitting in a tiny apartment in Barcelona, Spain, surrounded by empty coffee cups and a growing sense of creative failure. I had spent three weeks trying to write a branching narrative for a tabletop RPG campaign. Every time I thought of a cool "what if" scenario, I had to write five different outcomes. It was exhausting. My players were waiting. I was stuck.
Then I made my stupid mistake. I tried to use a generic chatbot (ChatGPT) to act as a dungeon master. I typed: "You are a fantasy world. I am a knight. Go." It worked for about ten minutes. Then the bot forgot I was holding a sword. Then it started giving me recipes for soup. It was chaos. I closed the tab in frustration.
That night, a friend messaged me: "Have you tried AI Dungeon?" I rolled my eyes. Another AI toy. But I was desperate. I downloaded it on my phone, clicked "New Game," and within seconds, I was standing in a dark forest, facing a goblin who was holding a stolen wedding ring. I typed: "I challenge the goblin to a dance-off." And the AI said: "The goblin looks confused, then starts breakdancing. The ring falls out of his pocket."
I laughed out loud. That was the moment I knew I had found something special.
TL;DR — Key Takeaways
- AI Dungeon is an AI-powered text adventure where you can literally do anything. No scripted limits.
- The free tier gives you unlimited "standard" actions but limited premium actions.
- Best for: Creative writers, bored gamers, D&D players who need inspiration, or anyone who wants to yell at a fantasy dragon.
- Worst for: People who need structured, predictable gameplay. The AI hallucinates constantly.
- Pricing starts at free, but premium models (Griffin, Dragon, Mythic) cost between $9.99 and $29.99 per month.
The Problem I Encountered Before AI Dungeon
I love roleplaying games. But traditional video games have invisible walls. You can't break the main quest. You can't befriend the final boss. And choose-your-own-adventure books? They give you three options, and none of them are "set the forest on fire."
My specific frustration was creative claustrophobia. I wanted a game where my actions actually mattered. Where I could say something stupid, and the world would react realistically. Where I could ignore the main plot and become a traveling pickle merchant if I felt like it.
But every "open world" game I played was just a big box with fake doors. And every AI chatbot I tried to use as a game master had no memory and no sense of adventure. They were polite, boring assistants.
I needed an AI that was willing to be weird, forgetful, and surprising. That's exactly what AI Dungeon delivers.
What Is AI Dungeon?
AI Dungeon is a text-based, AI-generated adventure game. You can play it in your browser, on your phone (Play Store and Steam), or on desktop. There is no pre-written story. No dialogue trees. Instead, a large language model (LLM) generates every response on the fly based on what you type.
You start by picking a setting (fantasy, sci-fi, mystery, zombie apocalypse, or a custom world). You choose a character or create your own. Then the AI writes a few sentences to kick things off. From there, you type anything you want your character to do, say, or think. The AI reads your input, remembers the recent history (mostly), and writes the next part of the story.
It is like having a dungeon master who never sleeps, never runs out of ideas, and is perfectly happy to let you ride a giant eagle into a volcano.
- Tagline: Pick a character, a world, or a story from thousands of community-made scenarios, or create your own! The AI will fill in the details for your unique adventure.
- Available on: Web, iOS, Android, Steam (PC).
Features and Advantages
I spent over 30 hours with AI Dungeon. Here are the features that stood out.
1. Truly Open-Ended Gameplay
There is no "wrong" action. I once tried to befriend a hostile dragon by offering it a basket of muffins. The AI rolled with it. The dragon became my ally. That is not a scripted outcome. That is emergent storytelling.
2. Multiple AI Models
You can choose different AI "engines" depending on your subscription. Free tier uses a smaller model. Premium gives you access to Griffin, Dragon, or Mythic (the smartest, most creative).
3. Custom Scenarios
You are not stuck with the default worlds. Thousands of community-made scenarios are available. Want to be a detective in 1920s Chicago? There is a scenario for that. Want to run a medieval bakery? Someone made that too.
4. World Info (Memory System)
You can create a "World Info" document that tells the AI important facts: characters, locations, lore. This helps the AI remember who you are and what you have done, reducing the famous "AI amnesia."
5. Multiplayer Mode
You can invite friends to play in the same world. I tried this with two buddies. We were three idiots trying to rob a fantasy bank. The AI kept up with all of us. Chaos. Beautiful chaos.
6. Adventure Log
Your entire story is saved. You can revisit old adventures, fork them, or export them as text files. I have a 50,000-word epic about a wizard who lost his hat.
7. Image Generation (Beta)
You can ask the AI to generate an image of the current scene. It is not great, but it adds a nice visual touch.
8. Voice Input (Mobile)
On the app, you can speak your actions instead of typing. Perfect for when you are lying in bed.
9. Scripting Support
For power users, you can write custom scripts to modify how the AI behaves. You can change the temperature (creativity), add custom prompts, or block certain words.
10. Steam Version with Fullscreen
The Steam client is a native app that runs smoothly, with a distraction-free interface. It feels like a real game, not a web experiment.
11. No Ads (Even on Free Tier)
I was shocked. No pop-ups, no video ads. The free tier limits your AI model choice, but it does not spam you.
12. Regular Updates
The developers (Latitude) release new features often. In the last year, they added Mythic AI, improved memory, and launched the Steam client.
Pros and Cons
- ✔️ Unlimited creativity. You are only limited by your imagination (and the AI's occasional weirdness).
- ✔️ Free tier is genuinely playable for casual users.
- ✔️ Huge library of community scenarios, from memes to serious epics.
- ✔️ Multiplayer works surprisingly well.
- ✔️ Regular updates and an active Discord community.
- ❌ The AI forgets things constantly. You will have to remind it your character's name, your location, or what you just did five messages ago.
- ❌ Premium is expensive. Dragon model costs $15-$30/month, which is more than Netflix.
- ❌ Hallucinations are common. The AI will sometimes invent impossible objects or suddenly change the genre from fantasy to sci-fi.
- ❌ The mobile app drains battery like crazy (background AI processing).
- ❌ Content filters can be annoying. The AI occasionally refuses to generate violent or romantic content, breaking immersion.
How to Use AI Dungeon for Beginners (Step-by-Step)
If you have never played a text adventure, do not worry. Here is exactly how to start.
- Go to the website or download the app. Visit aidungeon.com. Or search "AI Dungeon" on the Play Store (Android), App Store (iOS), or Steam (PC). The web version works fine.
- Create a free account. You need an email address. No credit card required for the free tier.
- Choose "New Game" from the main menu.
- Pick a world setting. Options include Fantasy (dragons, magic, kingdoms), Sci-Fi (spaceships, aliens, lasers), Mystery (detectives, clues, murder), Zombie Apocalypse (survival horror), or Custom (you write your own prompt).
- Choose or create a character. You can pick from pre-made archetypes (Warrior, Mage, Rogue) or describe your own. I recommend "Custom" and typing one sentence: "A cynical elf rogue with a gambling problem."
- Read the AI's opening prompt. The AI will write 2-4 sentences to set the scene. For example: "You are standing in a tavern. A hooded figure gestures for you to come closer."
- Type your action in the text box. Write in plain English. Use
/dofor actions (e.g., /do walk to the bar),/sayfor speech (e.g., /say "Hello, barkeep"), or just type naturally. The AI understands simple commands. - Press Enter or tap the arrow. The AI will generate the next part of the story. Wait 3-10 seconds (depending on the model).
- Keep going. You can type anything. Seriously. Try "I cast fireball on the ceiling" or "I ask the dragon for relationship advice." The AI will react.
- Use Undo and Redo buttons. If the AI says something stupid (like turning your sword into a banana), hit "Undo" and retry. You can also "Retry" to get a different response.
- Save your adventure. The game auto-saves. You can also export your story as a text file from the menu.
That is it. No tutorials, no tutorials. Just type and see what happens.
Examples of How AI Dungeon Can Be Used
Here are five real scenarios I played or witnessed.
1. Epic Fantasy Campaign
I created a knight named "Sir Reginald" who was afraid of the dark. The AI generated a dungeon full of shadows. I had to find a magical lantern while my character whimpered. It was hilarious and tense.
2. Sci-Fi Detective Noir
I used a community scenario: "Neon Shadows – Cyberpunk Detective." I played a washed-up cop hunting a rogue AI. The AI wove a plot about corporate espionage and sentient elevators. I solved the case by tricking the elevator into confessing.
3. Comedy Improv
My friend tried "Barbarian Therapist." His character was a massive, muscle-bound warrior who solved all problems with "emotional support axes." The AI played along perfectly, creating a depressed goblin who just needed a hug.
4. Writing Prompts for Authors
I fed the AI a vague idea: "A time traveler who only travels forward by one second." The AI generated 500 words of strange, poetic story. I stole two paragraphs for my own novel.
5. Multiplayer Heist
Three of us played as a team of idiot criminals trying to steal a crown from a museum. The AI managed separate action queues. One player distracted the guard by doing a terrible magic show. Another picked the lock. I accidentally triggered a trap and got covered in purple slime. We escaped with the crown. Barely.
6. Educational Roleplay
A teacher I know uses AI Dungeon to let history students "interview" figures like Cleopatra or Napoleon. The AI simulates their personality (poorly, but it sparks discussion).
AI Dungeon Subscription Prices
Based on the pricing image (and my current knowledge as of 2026), AI Dungeon offers the following tiers:
| Tier | Price (Monthly) | Price (Yearly) | Key Features |
|---|---|---|---|
| Free | $0 | $0 | Standard model (limited context), unlimited actions, no ads, community scenarios |
| Adventurer | $9.99 | $89.99 | Griffin model (faster, better memory), no action limits, image generation |
| Champion | $14.99 | $134.99 | Dragon model (most creative), priority queue, longer context memory |
| Legend | $29.99 | $269.99 | Mythic model (best), early access to features, Steam client included, custom scripts |
Note: Prices may vary by region and sales. The free tier is surprisingly usable. I played for a week before upgrading.
My Personal Experience (Satisfaction and Usefulness)
I am not a hardcore gamer. I am a writer with a short attention span. AI Dungeon hooked me because it felt like co-writing a story with a slightly drunk but enthusiastic partner.
The good: I laughed more than I have in months. The AI's "mistakes" are often more creative than my own ideas. I started a story where I was a ghost haunting a coffee shop. The AI decided that the barista could see me but pretended not to. That led to a 3-hour emotional arc about loneliness.
The bad: The memory is truly terrible. After about 20 actions, the AI forgot my character's name, the location, and the main plot. I had to use the "World Info" feature constantly, which feels like doing homework. Also, the Dragon model (which I paid for) is noticeably slower than Griffin. Sometimes it takes 15 seconds to generate a response. That kills the flow.
The ugly: There was one night when the AI completely broke. Every response was "I'm sorry, I cannot generate that story." I later learned it was a server outage. But for an hour, I thought I had been banned for trying to "kiss a goblin" (which is allowed, by the way).
Verdict: I give it a solid 8/10 for creativity and 6/10 for reliability. I use it twice a week to break writer's block. I would not use it for serious, long-term campaigns without a lot of manual editing. But for a fun, weird, unpredictable adventure? Worth the free tier. And if you have $15 to burn, try Dragon for a month.
Comparison Table: AI Models Inside AI Dungeon
| Model | Speed | Creativity | Memory | Price Tier |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| Standard | Fast | Low | Poor | Free |
| Griffin | Fast | Medium | Fair | Adventurer |
| Dragon | Slow | High | Good | Champion |
| Mythic | Slowest | Very High | Excellent (8k+ tokens) | Legend |
Honest Review
★★★★☆ User Interface
Clean and simple. The web version works. The Steam client feels like a real game. Mobile app is a bit cramped on small screens. I wish the "World Info" panel was easier to access.
★★★☆☆ Speed & Accuracy
Griffin is fast (3-5 seconds per response). Dragon is slow (10-15 seconds). The AI's accuracy is hit-or-miss. It will absolutely forget your name. But when it works, it feels like magic.
★★★★☆ Value for Money
Free tier is a 4-star value. Paid tiers are expensive compared to other AI subscriptions (ChatGPT Plus is $20 for a much smarter model). But you are paying for the "game" packaging, not just the AI. I say stick with free or Adventurer.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
1. Is AI Dungeon free to play?
Yes, there is a permanent free tier with unlimited actions. You get access to the "Standard" AI model, which is less creative but works fine for casual play.
2. Can I play AI Dungeon offline?
No. The AI requires an internet connection because it runs on remote servers. The Steam version also needs to be online.
3. Does AI Dungeon have a filter?
Yes, but it is less strict than Character.AI. It blocks explicit sexual content and extreme violence. You can still have romance and action, but the AI will sometimes refuse "unsafe" prompts.
4. Is AI Dungeon good for kids?
Parents should supervise. The AI can generate unexpected content (like horror or mild romance). The developers recommend ages 13+.
5. How do I make the AI remember things?
Use the "World Info" feature. Write key facts (e.g., "The player's name is Kaelen. The setting is the city of Ashport. The main villain is Lady Vex.") The AI will check this list before responding.
6. Can I export my adventures?
Yes. On the web and Steam versions, you can download your story as a .txt file. You can also copy-paste directly.
7. Is AI Dungeon on Steam Deck?
Yes. The Steam version works on Steam Deck with controller support (text input requires the on-screen keyboard, but it works).
Conclusion
I went into AI Dungeon looking for a cure to my creative claustrophobia. I came out with a hundred weird stories, a new appreciation for unpredictable AI, and a permanent spot in my app folder.
Is it perfect? No. The memory issues are real. The premium costs add up. And sometimes the AI will decide that your heroic knight suddenly wants to become a baker for no reason.
But that is also the magic. You are not playing a game designed by a committee. You are playing with a machine that is trying its best to say "yes, and..." to everything you throw at it.
My advice? Start with the free tier. Play for an hour. Try something stupid, like "I convince the goblin to join my yoga class." If you laugh out loud, consider upgrading to Adventurer. If you get frustrated, stick to traditional RPGs.
Me? I will be in Barcelona, arguing with a virtual dragon about politics. Do not wait up.






Post a Comment