17 AI Tools Best for Excel & Google Sheets That Actually Save Hours in 2026

Table of Contents

A few months ago, I was sitting in a quiet café in Lisbon, Portugal, trying to update product pricing for my digital software store when my Google Sheet crashed. Again.

I’d manually copied a VLOOKUP formula down 2,400 rows without checking for broken references. Half my pricing was wrong. A customer ordered a bundle at 50% below cost because of my error, and I had to eat the loss instead of refunding. That one stupid mistake cost me €230, an angry email, and two hours of panicked debugging.

17 AI Tools Best for Excel & Google Sheets That Actually Save Hours in 2026

I was done trusting my tired brain with spreadsheets. So I decided to test every AI tool for Excel and Google Sheets I could find. I tried 17 of them over three weeks, across inventory management, customer data cleanup, and sales reporting. This post is exactly what worked, what barely worked, and what I’d never touch again. No fluff. No “AI is the future” nonsense. Just real use cases from someone who still runs a small digital store and needs spreadsheets to actually work.

Key Takeaways (TL;DR)

  • The best AI for Excel isn’t one tool — it’s the right tool for your specific sheet type.
  • Microsoft Copilot (Agent Mode) dominates complex Excel workflows; Gemini rules Google Sheets.
  • Most “AI Excel” tools are just formula generators; fewer understand your actual data.
  • For PDF/CSV import cleanup, ChatDOC and AskYourPDF are underrated gems.
  • You don’t need 17 tools — 3–4 well-chosen ones cover 95% of spreadsheet tasks.

The Complete List of 17 AI Spreadsheet Tools

1. Microsoft Copilot (Agent Mode) in Excel

I started here because I needed something that could handle my heaviest Excel files without melting my laptop.

Copilot’s Agent Mode doesn’t just write formulas — it acts like a junior analyst who understands your data structure. I used it to rebuild my entire inventory sheet after the pricing disaster. Instead of me explaining each step, I told Copilot: “Group products by category, calculate margin per item, flag anything under 20% margin.” It did the rest.

How I used it:

  • Loaded a 5,000-row sales file.
  • Asked it to create a margin dashboard with conditional formatting.
  • Got a working sheet in under 3 minutes.

What I love:

  • Understands context, not just syntax.
  • Great for complex, multi-sheet workbooks.
  • Built right into Excel — no copy-pasting.

What bugs me: Requires a Microsoft 365 Copilot subscription. Free Excel users are locked out.

Best for: Power users managing large, complex Excel files.

2. Gemini in Google Sheets

If you live in Google Sheets (like I do for most of my store’s lightweight tracking), Gemini is the closest thing to a native AI assistant.

I used Gemini to clean up a messy customer email list imported from a payment processor. It identified duplicates, fixed inconsistent capitalization, and even suggested tags for segmentation — all inside the sheet.

How I used it:

  • Pasted raw customer data into a new sheet.
  • Asked Gemini: “Remove duplicates, standardize email case, add a ‘VIP’ column for users with 3+ orders.”
  • It generated the script and ran it automatically.

What I love:

  • Native integration with Google Sheets.
  • Handles data cleaning tasks effortlessly.
  • Free for most users with a Google account.

What bugs me: Struggles with very large datasets (10K+ rows) — can get sluggish.

Best for: Google Sheets users who need fast data cleaning and automation.

3. GPT for Work

GPT for Work is a browser extension that lets you prompt any Excel or Sheets cell with AI.

I used it when I needed to extract dates from unstructured text in a customer notes column. Instead of writing a regex formula, I highlighted the cells, clicked the extension, and typed: “Extract order dates from these notes.” Done.

What I love:

  • Works across Excel, Sheets, and even web forms.
  • No need to leave your spreadsheet.
  • Great for text parsing and extraction.

What bugs me: Free tier is limited to 50 prompts per day. Power users will hit the cap fast.

Best for: Anyone who needs quick text extraction or formatting inside spreadsheets.

4. GPTExcel

GPTExcel is a dedicated tool that specializes in Excel formula generation.

I used it when I needed a complex nested IF statement to categorize customers by spending tier. I described the logic in plain English, and it gave me a working formula I could paste directly.

What I love:

  • Turns plain English into working Excel formulas.
  • Handles nested logic and array formulas well.
  • Free and fast.

What bugs me: Doesn’t understand your actual data — you still need to verify the formula works for your sheet.

Best for: Users who struggle with Excel syntax and need formula help fast.

5. Numerous.ai

Numerous.ai is an AI add-on for both Excel and Google Sheets that writes, analyzes, and summarizes data inside your cells.

I used it to write personalized email templates for 200 customers based on their purchase history. I fed it the customer data columns, typed: “Write a friendly re-engagement email using their last purchase,” and it filled the column in seconds.

What I love:

  • Works inside cells — no switching apps.
  • Great for personalized content at scale.
  • Clean interface.

What bugs me: Premium features require a subscription; free tier is limited.

Best for: Marketers and solopreneurs who need bulk personalized content in sheets.

6. Unstuck AI

Unstuck AI is less about generating formulas and more about solving the actual problem when your sheet breaks.

When my pivot table stopped updating after I added new columns, I was ready to rebuild the whole thing from scratch. Instead, I turned to Unstuck AI. It asked a few clarifying questions about my data range, then walked me through fixing the source reference step-by-step. It felt like a tutor who actually cared, not a robot spitting out code.

How I used it:

  • Pasted my error message and a sample of my data.
  • Asked: “Why won’t my pivot table update when I add new rows?”
  • Got a clear explanation and a fix that worked immediately.

What I love:

  • Step-by-step guidance for spreadsheet errors.
  • Great for learning the why, not just the fix.
  • User-friendly interface.

What bugs me: Not built for bulk tasks. It’s slower if you’re trying to generate 500 rows of content instead of fixing one error.

Best for: Students, beginners, and anyone who gets stuck on spreadsheet logic.

7. ChatDOC

ChatDOC is technically a PDF-to-AI tool, but I discovered it’s one of the best ways to get data into Excel without manual typing.

I had 30 PDF invoices from international suppliers that I needed to log into my expense sheet. Instead of copying numbers one by one, I uploaded the PDFs to ChatDOC and asked: “Pull vendor name, date, and total amount into a table.” It gave me a clean CSV I could drop straight into Excel.

How I used it:

  • Uploaded a batch of PDF invoices.
  • Asked for specific columns: date, vendor, total.
  • Exported as CSV and imported into Excel in seconds.

What I love:

  • Turns messy PDFs into structured data fast.
  • Saves hours of manual data entry.
  • Surprisingly accurate on standard invoices.

What bugs me: Struggles with poorly formatted PDFs or handwritten notes. If the source is messy, the output suffers.

Best for: Anyone who needs to convert PDF invoices, reports, or statements into Excel.

8. AskYourPDF

AskYourPDF is similar to ChatDOC but feels more interactive if you’re asking specific questions about a document.

I used it when I had a 60-page financial audit report and needed to find three specific numbers. Instead of Ctrl+F-ing through the whole thing, I asked: “What was the Q3 revenue for the EU region?” and it gave me the exact figure with a page link.

How I used it:

  • Uploaded a long financial PDF.
  • Asked targeted questions about specific metrics.
  • Got answers with citations so I could verify.

What I love:

  • Fast Q&A on long PDFs.
  • Cites page numbers for verification.
  • Great for deep-dive research.

What bugs me: Free tier limits PDF size and the number of questions you can ask per day. You hit the wall fast if you’re doing heavy research.

Best for: Researchers, analysts, and students working with long technical or financial PDFs.

9. TinyWow

TinyWow is a free AI suite that includes an Excel formula generator, PDF tools, and more — all without requiring a login for most features.

I used its Excel tool when I needed a quick VLOOKUP for a small dashboard and didn’t want to sign up for another service. I typed my logic in plain English, got the formula instantly, and pasted it in. It worked on the first try.

How I used it:

  • Went to the TinyWow Excel page.
  • Described the formula I needed: “Find price by product ID in sheet 2.”
  • Copied the result and pasted it into my sheet.

What I love:

  • 100% free, no signup for most tools.
  • Great for quick, one-off tasks.
  • Wide variety of utilities in one place.

What bugs me: The interface feels a bit cluttered and outdated. It’s not built for complex, multi-step workflows.

Best for: Casual users who need free, fast Excel help without subscriptions.

10. Knowlee AI

Knowlee AI is a bit different from the typical spreadsheet helper because it leans more into AI workflow automation than just formula generation. Its main pitch is that one person can orchestrate multiple AI agents across business workflows like operations, finance, and marketing, which is why it caught my attention as a store owner managing too many moving parts at once.

I tested it when I was trying to connect spreadsheet-based reporting with the repetitive admin work around my digital store. Instead of using it like a simple formula bot, I treated it like an operations assistant that could help me move from raw spreadsheet data to actual actions. That made it more useful for workflow-heavy tasks than for basic cell-by-cell spreadsheet editing.

How I used it:

  • I used it to think through spreadsheet-driven operations tasks, especially around finance and store admin workflows.
  • I treated it less like an Excel add-on and more like an AI coordination layer for recurring work tied to spreadsheet data.
  • It worked better for broader process support than for writing one-off formulas.

What I love:

  • It’s built around full workflows, not just isolated spreadsheet prompts.
  • It makes more sense for solopreneurs who wear five hats and want help connecting data to execution.
  • It stands out from the usual “AI for spreadsheets” tools because it aims at operations and finance work, not just formulas.

What bugs me: If you only want a fast formula or a quick Sheets cleanup, Knowlee AI may feel too big for the job because its focus is broader AI workforce orchestration rather than spreadsheet-specific assistance.

Best for: Solopreneurs, operators, and small teams who want AI help turning spreadsheet data into repeatable business workflows.

11. AI Excel Bot

AI Excel Bot is a chatbot that lives directly inside your spreadsheet and answers questions about your data without you needing to write a single formula.

I used it when I had a messy sales report and needed to know which product had the highest margin last month. Instead of building a pivot table or writing a complex SUMIF, I just typed: “Which product had the highest margin last month?” into the bot. It scanned my sheet, gave me the answer, and even generated a quick bar chart to visualize it.

How I used it:

  • Installed the add-on in Excel.
  • Typed a natural language question about my sales data.
  • Got an instant answer with a chart.

What I love:

  • Conversational data analysis feels like talking to a colleague.
  • Builds charts on the fly from your questions.
  • Great for quick insights when you’re in a rush.

What bugs me: It struggles with very complex, multi-sheet queries. If you ask something that requires deep context across tabs, it sometimes gets confused.

Best for: Users who want instant data answers without building formulas or learning pivot tables.

12. Mindgrasp

Mindgrasp is primarily an AI study tool, but I found a very specific use case for it: summarizing long spreadsheet training guides into bullet points.

I had a 40-page PDF manual on advanced Excel functions that I needed to understand quickly before teaching a team training session. Instead of reading every page, I uploaded it to Mindgrasp and asked for a summary of the top 10 most useful tips. It gave me a clean, actionable list in seconds.

How I used it:

  • Uploaded a long Excel tutorial PDF.
  • Asked: “Summarize the most useful advanced formulas and shortcuts.”
  • Got a concise bullet-point list I could use immediately.

What I love:

  • Summarizes long documents fast.
  • Great for learning Excel shortcuts without reading walls of text.
  • Clean, readable output.

What bugs me: It’s not a spreadsheet tool itself. It won’t touch your actual data—only the learning materials around it.

Best for: Students, beginners, and anyone trying to learn Excel/Sheets faster without reading dense manuals.

13. SuperFile AI

SuperFile AI is a file cleanup tool that specializes in organizing messy data files, including CSVs and Excel exports.

I had a customer CSV export from my payment processor that was a disaster: inconsistent city names (some with states, some without), duplicate rows, and weird capitalization. SuperFile AI cleaned it all up automatically.

How I used it:

  • Dragged and dropped my messy CSV into SuperFile AI.
  • Selected “Clean and standardize data.”
  • Got back a clean file with standardized cities and removed duplicates.

What I love:

  • Excellent for data cleanup and standardization.
  • Easy drag-and-drop interface.
  • Fast processing even on larger files.

What bugs me: The free tier limits file size. For very large datasets, you’ll need to upgrade.

Best for: Users dealing with messy data imports, CSV exports, or inconsistent databases.

14. OmniAI

OmniAI is a general AI suite with a dedicated spreadsheet module for generating and testing data.

I used it to create dummy data for testing a new dashboard I was building for my store. I needed realistic names, emails, purchase amounts, and dates for 500 test customers. OmniAI generated all of it in seconds with realistic patterns.

How I used it:

  • Opened the OmniAI spreadsheet generator.
  • Selected “Test data” and set the number of rows.
  • Got a clean CSV with realistic mock customer data.

What I love:

  • Great for generating realistic test data.
  • Simple, intuitive interface.
  • Fast generation even for large datasets.

What bugs me: It’s not as powerful for analyzing real data. It’s mainly for creating dummy data, not cleaning or analyzing actual business metrics.

Best for: Developers, testers, and anyone who needs mock data for testing dashboards or applications.

15. FlowChart AI

FlowChart AI turns complex spreadsheet logic into visual flowcharts, which is incredibly helpful for documenting your processes.

I had a messy Excel sheet that managed our refund approval process with 15 different IF statements. When I tried to explain it to a new team member, they were lost. I pasted the logic into FlowChart AI, and it generated a clean visual flowchart that made the entire process obvious.

How I used it:

  • Copied the logic from my Excel sheet.
  • Pasted it into FlowChart AI.
  • Got a visual flowchart I could share with my team.

What I love:

  • Visualizes spreadsheet logic clearly.
  • Great for process documentation and training.
  • Easy to use, no design skills needed.

What bugs me: It only maps logic; it doesn’t do any actual data work. You still need your original spreadsheet for the numbers.

Best for: Process owners, team leaders, and anyone needing to document complex spreadsheet workflows.

16. Fillout AI

Fillout AI automates form filling using data from your spreadsheets, which saves a ton of time when you’re doing bulk uploads or customer onboarding.

I used it when I needed to populate a bulk order form for 120 customers from my store’s customer list. Instead of copy-pasting names, emails, and order details into a web form one by one, I connected my Google Sheet to Fillout AI, mapped the columns, and let it fill the forms automatically.

How I used it:

  • Connected my customer Google Sheet to Fillout AI.
  • Mapped columns (name, email, product) to form fields.
  • Ran the batch and filled 120 forms in under 2 minutes.

What I love:

  • Automates repetitive form-filling tasks.
  • Integrates smoothly with Google Sheets and Excel.
  • Massive time-saver for sales and onboarding.

What bugs me: Works best with structured, standard forms. Custom or complex forms sometimes need manual tweaks.

Best for: Sales teams, customer success reps, and anyone doing bulk data entry into web forms.

17. hiData AI

hiData AI focuses on data transformation and cleaning, especially with tricky formats like JSON, nested CSVs, and API exports.

I had a JSON export from an API that contained nested customer data. Excel couldn’t open it cleanly, and I spent an hour trying to flatten it manually. I dropped the file into hiData AI, selected “Convert JSON to CSV,” and it flattened the nested structure perfectly into a clean table I could open in Excel.

How I used it:

  • Uploaded a messy JSON export with nested data.
  • Selected “Convert to CSV/Excel.”
  • Got a clean, flattened table ready for analysis.

What I love:

  • Excellent for JSON and nested data conversion.
  • Handles complex structures better than most tools.
  • Clean, ready-to-use output.

What bugs me: Smaller user base means fewer tutorials and less support if you hit a weird edge case.

Best for: Developers, analysts, and anyone working with API exports or nested data files.

★ 5-Star Review: My Honest Verdict

User Interface — ★★★★★

Gemini in Google Sheets and Microsoft Copilot (Agent Mode) are the cleanest. They feel native, not tacked on. AI Excel Bot and FlowChart AI are also smooth and intuitive. If a tool makes you fight the interface before you get your answer, it’s out. These top ones don’t waste your time.

Speed & Accuracy — ★★★★★

Copilot Agent Mode and Gemini win for speed plus accuracy on real data. They understand context, not just syntax. GPTExcel is fast for formulas but you still need to verify it works for your sheet. ChatDOC and AskYourPDF are surprisingly accurate on PDF extraction — far better than I expected.

Value for Money — ★★★★★

TinyWow (free), GPTExcel (free), and Gemini (free for most) offer the best value. Copilot is expensive but worth it if you live in heavy Excel workbooks. Numerous.ai is great if you need bulk content at scale. For most solopreneurs, a mix of free + one paid tool covers everything.

FAQs — Frequently Asked Questions

Which AI tool is best for Excel overall?

For heavy Excel work, Microsoft Copilot (Agent Mode) is the most powerful. It understands your data context, not just formulas. For Google Sheets, Gemini is the clear winner.

What’s the best free AI tool for Excel formulas?

GPTExcel is the best free option for generating formulas from plain English. TinyWow is also solid for one-off tasks without signing up.

Can AI turn PDFs into Excel sheets?

Yes. ChatDOC and AskYourPDF both extract data from PDFs into structured tables you can paste directly into Excel. They’re much faster than manual copying.

Which AI helps clean messy data fastest?

Numerous.ai, SuperFile AI, and hiData AI are the top choices for cleaning inconsistent, duplicate, or nested data. SuperFile AI is especially good for CSV imports.

Do I need all 17 tools?

No. Most people only need 3–4: one for formulas (GPTExcel), one for data cleaning (Numerous.ai or SuperFile AI), one for PDF extraction (ChatDOC), and one native assistant (Gemini for Sheets or Copilot for Excel).

Wrap-Up

If I had to rebuild my spreadsheet workflow today after that expensive pricing mistake in Lisbon, I’d start with Gemini for Google Sheets, Copilot (Agent Mode) for heavy Excel work, GPTExcel for formulas, and ChatDOC for PDF data. That combo covers 95% of what a solopreneur needs without drowning in subscriptions.

I won’t lie — I still make mistakes. But now I catch them before they cost me money instead of after.

AI Tool Best Use Case Platform Integration
Gemini Fast data cleaning & automation Google Sheets
Copilot (Agent Mode) Complex, multi-sheet analysis Excel
GPTExcel Formula generation from text Web / Universal
ChatDOC PDF to structured table extraction Web (Export to CSV/Excel)

Post a Comment