How I Fixed a Python Bug in 4 Minutes That Had Me Stuck for 9 Hours (2026)

Table of Contents

My Python Script Was Completely Broken, Then I Asked AI – Here's What Happened (Must-Have Tool)

It was 2:47 AM in Barcelona, Spain. My apartment in the Gràcia neighborhood was silent except for the hum of my laptop fan and the occasional scooter zipping through the narrow street below. I was staring at a screen full of red error messages, running on my fourth cup of coffee, and genuinely contemplating whether I should just delete the entire project and pretend it never existed.

The script was supposed to scrape product data from an e-commerce site, clean it up, and dump it into a CSV file. Simple stuff. Something I'd done a dozen times before. But this particular script had decided to become my personal nightmare, and every attempt I made to fix it just dug the hole deeper.

What happened next changed how I'll write code forever. I'm going to walk you through the entire disaster, the exact error, my stupid attempts at fixing it, and the AI tool that solved it in minutes after I'd wasted nine hours of my life.

If you write code at any level, this is going to hit close to home.

TL;DR — Key Takeaways

  • A single Python error in a web scraper cost me 9 hours of debugging and made the problem significantly worse with each attempted fix.
  • I tried 3 different AI coding assistants; two were mediocre, one was genuinely exceptional and solved the bug in under 4 minutes.
  • The winning tool didn't just fix the error. It explained why my fixes were making things worse and taught me something I'll never forget.
  • AI coding assistants are not optional anymore. The gap between using one and not using one is too wide to ignore.
  • The specific error involved a nested dictionary KeyError that mutated into a silent data corruption issue after my "fixes."

The Project That Started Everything

I was building a price monitoring tool for a friend who runs a small online electronics shop in Madrid. The idea was straightforward:

  1. Scrape competitor prices from three websites every morning
  2. Compare them against my friend's current pricing
  3. Flag products where competitors were undercutting by more than 5%
  4. Output a clean CSV report

I chose Python because it's what I reach for when I need to get something done quickly. Requests and BeautifulSoup for the scraping, Pandas for the data manipulation, and a simple scheduler to run it daily. I estimated maybe four hours of work total.

The scraping part worked fine. The data cleaning is where everything fell apart.

The Error That Started Small

Here's what the data looked like coming in from one of the sites. A nested JSON structure that I needed to flatten into rows:

product = {
    "id": "EL-4721",
    "title": "Wireless Bluetooth Headphones",
    "pricing": {
        "current": 79.99,
        "original": 99.99,
        "discount_percentage": 20
    },
    "availability": {
        "in_stock": True,
        "quantity": 14
    }
}

Pretty standard. I wrote a function to extract what I needed:

def extract_product_data(product):
    return {
        "id": product["id"],
        "title": product["title"],
        "price": product["pricing"]["current"],
        "original_price": product["pricing"]["original"],
        "in_stock": product["availability"]["in_stock"]
    }

It worked perfectly on the first two sites. The third site, however, had a slightly different structure. Some products didn't have an "original" price if they weren't on sale. The "pricing" key still existed, but "original" was sometimes missing entirely.

The error I got:

KeyError: 'original'

Simple, right? Just handle the missing key. That's what I thought too. That's when things got ugly.

How I Made Everything Worse (A Step-by-Step Account of My Stupidity)

Here's exactly what I did, in order, over the next nine hours. I'm documenting this so you can either laugh at my pain or recognize yourself in it.

Attempt 1: The Quick Fix (2:15 AM)

  • I wrapped the access in a try-except block and set original_price to None if it was missing.
  • Seemed to work. Script ran without errors. I went to bed feeling clever.
  • Woke up, checked the CSV output, and found that about 40% of the rows had empty cells where prices should be. Not just the original_price column. Random cells all over the place. The data was silently corrupted.

Attempt 2: The Default Value Approach (10:30 AM)

Instead of try-except, I used .get() with a default value of 0 for missing keys.

product["pricing"].get("original", 0)
  • This "worked" in the sense that no errors appeared, but now my price comparison logic was treating products with a price of 0 as massive bargains, flagging everything as underpriced.
  • My friend called me, confused about why the report said he should slash prices on half his inventory.

Attempt 3: The Nested Nightmare (2:00 PM)

  • I realized the problem was deeper. Not just the "original" key was sometimes missing. Some products had "pricing" as a list instead of a dictionary. Some had "availability" as a string instead of an object. The API was a mess.
  • I wrote a massive validation function with isinstance() checks, nested try-except blocks, and fallback logic for every possible variation.
  • The function grew to 87 lines. It was unreadable. It had at least three logic errors I couldn't find. I was now debugging my own debugging code.

Attempt 4: The Complete Rewrite Panic (6:30 PM)

  • Frustrated and running on caffeine and shame, I decided to rewrite the entire extraction logic from scratch using a different approach with dataclasses and explicit parsing.
  • I introduced two new bugs related to type coercion and broke the working parts of the script that had been fine before.
  • The script now failed on all three sites, not just the problematic one. I had gone backwards.

Attempt 5: Stack Overflow Rabbit Hole (9:00 PM)

  • I spent two hours reading through Stack Overflow threads about nested JSON parsing, KeyError handling, and best practices for unpredictable APIs.
  • Found fifteen different opinions, none of which matched my exact situation.
  • Copied and pasted a solution that used a recursive function to traverse the nested dictionaries. It caused an infinite loop on one edge case and I had to force-quit my terminal.

The State of Things at 11:30 PM:

  • The script was in worse shape than when I started.
  • I had introduced more bugs than I had fixed.
  • I was tired, angry, and starting to doubt whether I actually knew how to code.
  • My friend needed the report by morning, and I had nothing.

That's when I opened an AI coding assistant. Not as a first choice. As a last resort. And I'm embarrassed it took me nine hours to try it.

The AI Tools I Tested (And Which One Actually Delivered)

Before this disaster, I'd used AI coding tools in a casual way. Autocomplete here, a quick suggestion there. I'd never thrown a real, messy, production problem at one. This was my chance to see what they could actually do.

I tested three tools. Here's exactly what happened with each.

Tool 1: A Popular Free Coding Assistant

  • I pasted my broken function and the error description.
  • It suggested adding more try-except blocks. Basically the same approach I'd already tried and failed with.
  • It didn't ask for context about the data structure or the source of the problem.
  • Response felt generic, like it was pattern-matching against common KeyError solutions without understanding my specific situation.
  • Verdict: Not helpful. Marginally faster than Googling, but the advice was shallow.

Tool 2: A Paid AI Plugin for My Code Editor

  • Better context awareness since it could see my entire project.
  • It identified that the issue was with inconsistent API responses, not just missing keys.
  • Suggested a validation layer, which was the right direction, but the generated code was overly complex and introduced a new dependency I didn't want.
  • It also hallucinated a method on the Pandas DataFrame that doesn't exist, which wasted another 15 minutes.
  • Verdict: Almost there, but the hallucination broke my trust. Good diagnosis, flawed prescription.

Tool 3: The One That Changed Everything

I won't name names to avoid this sounding like an ad, but it's a major AI assistant known for strong coding capabilities with a large context window.

I gave it three things:

  1. The exact error traceback
  2. A sample of the inconsistent API responses (three examples showing different structures)
  3. My current broken extraction function

I also told it: "I've tried try-except, .get() defaults, and a validation function. Each fix broke something else. Please tell me what I'm fundamentally misunderstanding about this problem before giving me a solution."

That last sentence was the key. I didn't just ask for code. I asked for understanding.

What the AI Showed Me (The Breakthrough)

Within seconds, the AI gave me a response that made me feel like an idiot and relieved at the same time. Here's what it said, paraphrased:

"You're treating this as a missing key problem. It's not. It's a schema inconsistency problem. You're trying to access nested values without first understanding what shape the data has. Your fixes are all reactive, handling individual missing keys, but the root cause is that you're not normalizing the data structure before you try to extract from it."

Then it showed me this approach:

Step 1: Normalize First

  • Before extracting anything, write a normalization function that ensures every product object has a consistent structure.
  • Fill in missing keys with sensible defaults at the normalization stage, not at the extraction stage.
  • This separates the "make the data consistent" concern from the "pull out what I need" concern.

Step 2: The Normalization Function It Generated

def normalize_product(product):
    # Ensure pricing is a dict
    pricing = product.get("pricing", {})
    if not isinstance(pricing, dict):
        pricing = {"current": None, "original": None}
    
    # Ensure availability is a dict
    availability = product.get("availability", {})
    if not isinstance(availability, dict):
        availability = {"in_stock": False, "quantity": 0}
        
    return {
        "id": product.get("id", ""),
        "title": product.get("title", ""),
        "pricing": {
            "current": pricing.get("current"),
            "original": pricing.get("original"),
            "discount_percentage": pricing.get("discount_percentage")
        },
        "availability": {
            "in_stock": availability.get("in_stock", False),
            "quantity": availability.get("quantity", 0)
        }
    }

Step 3: Then Extract (Simplified)

def extract_product_data(product):
    normalized = normalize_product(product)
    return {
        "id": normalized["id"],
        "title": normalized["title"],
        "price": normalized["pricing"]["current"],
        "original_price": normalized["pricing"]["original"],
        "in_stock": normalized["availability"]["in_stock"]
    }

Why This Worked When My 87-Line Monster Failed

  • The normalization function handles all the structural weirdness in one place before extraction even starts.
  • The extraction function is now clean, simple, and can trust that the data has a consistent shape.
  • If a new inconsistency appears in the future, I only need to update the normalizer, not touch the extraction logic.
  • It's testable. I can write unit tests for the normalizer independently.

I pasted the code into my project, ran it against all three sites, and watched every single row populate correctly. No errors. No silent corruption. No phone calls from confused friends.

Total time from pasting the error to having a working solution: under four minutes.

Nine hours of suffering, solved in four minutes. I sat there in my Barcelona apartment, staring at the clean CSV output, cycling through gratitude, embarrassment, and a burning desire to go back in time and try the AI tool at 2:15 AM.

Side-by-Side: My Approach vs. The AI's Approach

Aspect My Failed Attempts The AI's Solution
Problem Diagnosis Reactive: fixing errors one at a time Root cause: schema inconsistency
Architecture Tight coupling between validation and extraction Separation of normalization and extraction
Code Length 87 lines (broken) 28 lines (working)
Maintainability Nightmare to update Easy to extend for new fields
Error Handling Nested try-except scattered everywhere Centralized in one normalization function
Time Invested 9 hours 4 minutes
Emotional State Despair and self-doubt Relief and slightly embarrassed awe

What This Taught Me About Using AI for Coding (The Right Way)

The tool didn't just spit out working code. It taught me a pattern I now use everywhere. Here's what I learned about getting the most out of AI coding assistants:

1. Provide Context, Not Just Errors

  • Don't paste a traceback and say "fix this." That gets you generic answers.
  • Paste the error, the data that caused it, and your current code.
  • Even better, paste examples of data that work AND data that breaks.

2. Ask for Understanding Before Code

  • The phrase "tell me what I'm fundamentally misunderstanding" consistently produces better results than "give me the fix."
  • AI models are good at pattern recognition. Let them recognize the pattern of your misunderstanding first.

3. Use AI as a Teacher, Not a Crutch

  • I now ask follow-up questions: "Why does separating normalization from extraction prevent this bug?"
  • The explanations stick because they're connected to a real problem I experienced, not abstract documentation.

4. Review Everything Before You Run It

  • The AI in Tool 2 hallucinated a Pandas method. Always read the generated code.
  • Trust but verify. The AI is a very fast junior developer who occasionally makes things up.

5. Keep the AI in Your Workflow Permanently

  • Since that night in Barcelona, I don't debug for more than 15 minutes without consulting an AI assistant.
  • The time threshold is deliberate. If I can't solve it in 15 minutes, my brain is probably stuck in a loop, and I need an outside perspective.

The Specific AI Tool I Recommend (And Why)

After testing multiple options over the months since my Barcelona debugging disaster, I've settled on a clear preference. I use an AI assistant with these specific capabilities:

  • A context window large enough to hold my entire project or at least multiple files simultaneously
  • The ability to reason about code architecture, not just suggest line-by-line fixes
  • Internet access for pulling in documentation and checking for deprecated methods
  • A conversational interface that lets me ask clarifying questions

The free tools are decent for autocomplete. They'll save you typing time. But when you have a real, messy, multi-layered problem, the paid tier of a major AI assistant is where the genuine value lives. The difference between the free version and the paid version is the difference between a tool that guesses and a tool that reasons.

I pay roughly €20 per month for access, and that Barcelona debugging session alone justified years of subscription costs. Every subsequent bug I've solved in minutes rather than hours is pure compounding return.

Honest Review

Problem-Solving Capability ★★★★★

This isn't autocomplete on steroids. When given proper context, the AI diagnosed the root cause of my bug (schema inconsistency) rather than treating symptoms (missing keys). It proposed an architectural change, not a band-aid. The normalization-then-extraction pattern it taught me is now a standard part of how I write data pipelines. If you've ever burned hours on a bug that turned out to be a design problem rather than a syntax error, you need this.

Speed & Response Quality ★★★★★

Four minutes. Nine hours of suffering versus four minutes. I don't know how else to quantify this. The response was not just fast but genuinely thoughtful. It explained why my previous attempts were failing, then gave me a solution with clear separation of concerns. The code ran correctly the first time. No iterations needed. No hallucinated methods. No generic Stack Overflow copypasta. Just a working fix and a lesson I still remember.

Value for Money ★★★★★

I was paying €0 for debugging help before this, and it was costing me hundreds of euros in lost time and missed deadlines. At roughly €20 per month, the paid AI assistant costs less than a single dinner out in Barcelona and has probably saved me 40+ hours of debugging time since that first night. Even if you only use it for the occasional stuck session, one saved day of frustration per year more than covers the cost. The free tiers are a good start, but the paid version solves real problems. This is the easiest ROI calculation I've ever made.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can AI really debug complex Python errors, or just simple syntax mistakes?
It handles both, but the sweet spot is logic errors and architectural problems like the one I described. Simple syntax errors your linter will catch. What AI excels at is seeing the pattern you're missing. In my case, it recognized that I was fighting symptoms (missing keys) instead of the disease (inconsistent data structure). That's a higher level of analysis than most humans offer in code review.
Do I need to be an experienced developer to use AI coding tools?
No, and honestly, beginners might benefit even more. The AI explains things in context, connected to your actual problem. That's better than reading documentation in the abstract. However, you do need enough knowledge to evaluate whether the generated code makes sense. Blind trust is dangerous at any skill level.
What's the risk of AI generating incorrect or buggy code?
It's real. Tool 2 in my test hallucinated a method that didn't exist. The difference is that a bad AI suggestion wastes minutes while bad manual debugging wastes hours. Always read the code before running it. Always test it on sample data. The AI is fast, but you're still the one responsible for what ships.
Is the free version of AI coding assistants good enough?
For autocomplete and simple "what's the syntax for X" questions, yes. For the kind of multi-layered debugging I described, no. The paid versions have larger context windows (so they can see your whole project), better reasoning capabilities, and fewer hallucinations. The gap is significant. Start free, but be ready to upgrade when you hit a real problem.
Can AI coding tools handle large, multi-file projects?
The best ones can, and this is the main differentiator. You want a tool that can ingest your entire codebase or at least the relevant files. Without that context, the AI is guessing. With it, it can see how functions connect, where data flows, and what assumptions you've made elsewhere. Always choose a tool with the largest context window you can afford.
Will using AI make me a worse programmer over time?
Only if you use it as a crutch instead of a teacher. I always ask "why does this work" after getting a fix. I read every line. I experiment with modifications. The Barcelona bug actually made me a better programmer because the AI taught me a pattern (normalize then extract) that I now use independently. Use AI to learn, not to avoid learning.
What types of Python errors are AI tools best at solving?
From my experience, the hierarchy goes: Logic errors and design flaws (best), followed by data transformation problems, followed by library-specific quirks, followed by syntax issues (easiest but least valuable because linters already catch these). AI really shines when the problem is that you're approaching something wrong, not when you've just made a typo.
Do AI coding assistants work offline?
Most don't, or the offline versions are significantly less capable. The large models require serious cloud infrastructure. There are some local options emerging, and they're improving fast, but as of 2026 the cloud-based tools are still substantially better for complex debugging. If you work with sensitive code that can't leave your machine, look into the local model options but expect a capability trade-off.

Conclusion

I still live in Barcelona, still work from that same Gràcia apartment, and still write Python code most days. But I don't debug alone anymore. That night taught me something I can't unlearn: stubbornness is not a debugging strategy. For nine hours, I was the bottleneck. My ego was the bottleneck. I kept trying variations of the same approach, convinced that I just needed to think harder, try more things, read one more Stack Overflow thread.

The AI wasn't smarter than me. It was just free of my assumptions. It looked at the problem without the baggage of my failed attempts and saw the architectural issue I'd been dancing around. That outside perspective, available instantly and infinitely patient with my follow-up questions, is not a luxury anymore. It's a core part of my development workflow.

Here's my straightforward method if you want to replicate this experience:

  1. When you hit a bug you can't solve in 15 minutes, stop. Don't be me. Don't burn nine hours.
  2. Gather three things: the exact error, sample data that triggers it, and your current broken code.
  3. Paste all three into a capable AI assistant (paid tier, large context window) and ask it to explain what you're misunderstanding before giving you a fix.
  4. Read the explanation first. Understand it. Then look at the code.
  5. Test the solution on sample data before integrating it. Always.
  6. Ask "why does this work" as a follow-up. The lesson is worth more than the fix.

That's it. That's the method that turned a humiliating night of frustration into the most productive debugging session I've ever had. The tool pays for itself the first time you use it. Stop debugging alone. The AI is ready, and it doesn't care how long you've been stuck.

Post a Comment