How I Built Entire 3D Game Levels with Tencent HY-World 2.0

Table of Contents

My Brutally Honest HY-World 2.0 Review: The End of Manual 3D Modeling?

It was a beautiful, crisp Monday morning here in Barcelona, Catalonia, but I was stuck inside my apartment violently cursing at my computer monitor. I was trying to build a small indie virtual reality project set in a fictionalized version of the Gothic Quarter. I needed cobblestone streets, ancient stone walls, and narrow alleyways.

Because I am a terrible 3D modeler, I made a remarkably stupid mistake. I spent roughly $1,200 buying random environment asset packs from the Unity store. When I dragged them all into my scene, it looked like a disjointed disaster. The textures clashed, the lighting baked differently on every single object, and the poly counts were all over the place. My scene did not look like a cohesive world; it looked like a garage sale.

How I Built Entire 3D Game Levels with Tencent HY-World 2.0

I was burning cash and getting absolutely nowhere. I needed a way to generate complete, visually consistent environments without having to individually sculpt every single brick or hire a freelance 3D artist I could not afford.

That is when I found HY-World 2.0 by Tencent (you can find their official project page at https://3d-models.hunyuan.tencent.com/world/). I had largely ignored AI 3D generators before because they usually just spit out a flat video file you could not actually play in. But this one claimed it could generate fully editable, persistent 3D meshes and Gaussian splattings directly from a text prompt.

I decided to wipe my Unity project clean and test it. I typed in a description of a narrow, sunlit Spanish alleyway, waited for my graphics card to do its thing, and watched it build a real, navigable 3D space.

This is my complete, unfiltered experience using HY-World 2.0. I am going to break down what it actually is, the hardware you need to run it, and why this specific update is such a massive shift for indie creators.

Key Takeaways (TL;DR)

  • HY-World 2.0 is an open-source, multi-modal world model that turns text, single images, or video inputs directly into editable 3D representations (meshes or 3D Gaussian Splatting).
  • The biggest upgrade in version 2.0 is that it generates permanent 3D assets you can export to Unity, Unreal, or Blender, rather than just generating a short, non-editable video clip.
  • It is completely free to use with zero subscription fees, but the hidden cost is hardware; you need a powerful NVIDIA GPU to run it locally without crashing.
  • The system uses a brilliant four-stage pipeline: it generates a panorama, plans a trajectory, expands the environment, and composes the final 3D world.
  • It is best suited for game developers, VR creators, and 3D printing enthusiasts who need to rapidly prototype levels or build cohesive background environments.

What Exactly is HY-World 2.0?

If you try to read the technical documentation for HY-World 2.0, you will quickly drown in academic phrasing. Let me simplify it based on my actual usage.

HY-World 2.0 is a massive artificial intelligence framework created by Tencent. Instead of just generating an image from a prompt, it generates an entire space. It understands spatial reasoning. If you give it a picture of a room, it can predict and generate what the rest of the house looks like behind the camera.

It does this by relying on four specialized AI modules working together. First, HY-Pano 2.0 creates a 360-degree panorama of your idea. Then, a module called WorldNav acts like a virtual cameraman, plotting a path through that space. Next, WorldStereo 2.0 fills in the missing details as the camera moves. Finally, WorldMirror 2.0 stitches all of this data together into a real, three-dimensional structure that has depth, volume, and texture.

You are not getting a flat picture. You are getting a digital set you can walk around inside.

What is New in Version 2.0?

I briefly tested the earlier 1.0 and 1.5 versions of this tool, and frankly, they were cool party tricks but entirely useless for my actual work. The previous iterations were essentially "video world models." They created short, looping videos that looked like 3D spaces, but if you tried to extract an object from the video to use in a game, you could not. It was baked in.

Version 2.0 fixes this completely. The shift here is massive. Tencent moved from generating non-editable pixels to generating real 3D assets.

When you prompt HY-World 2.0, the output is an actual mesh (a framework of polygons) or 3D Gaussian Splatting (a newer way of rendering highly detailed scenes). This means you can drop the generated environment right into Blender, rip a specific barrel or door frame out of the scene, adjust the lighting, or add physical collision boxes so a player can bump into the walls.

Furthermore, version 2.0 introduces WorldLens, an engine-agnostic rendering platform that automatically handles complex things like lighting and collision detection right out of the gate.

Who is This Actually For?

Let me be clear: this is not a consumer toy you open in an app store to make funny filters.

  1. Indie Game Developers: This is the primary audience. If you need to block out a level, generate background scenery, or build a cohesive map without spending weeks modeling every rock and tree, this tool handles the heavy lifting. You can generate the base environment and then manually add your specific gameplay elements later.
  2. Virtual Reality (VR) Creators: Because the system excels at generating 360-degree navigable spaces, it is perfect for building immersive VR environments quickly.
  3. Animation Studios: Backgrounds take a massive amount of time to illustrate or model. Studios can use this to generate the sets for their characters to act within, completely bypassing the traditional asset creation pipeline.

How I Actually Use HY-World 2.0 (My Step-by-Step Workflow)

Running this system requires getting your hands a little dirty. It does not have a shiny web subscription interface. You have to run it locally. Here is exactly how I use it for my VR game.

Step 1: The Local Setup

I have a solid PC with an NVIDIA RTX 4090 GPU. I went to the Tencent Hunyuan GitHub page, cloned the repository, and installed the Python dependencies. It requires setting up a Conda environment and installing some specific rendering tools like FlashAttention. It took me an afternoon of troubleshooting to get it running smoothly. If you are terrified of the command line, this step will be frustrating.

Step 2: The Input Prompt

You can use text, but I found that giving the AI a single reference image yields the best results. I took a photo of a specific cobblestone texture and an archway I liked near my apartment in Barcelona. I fed that image into the model via the command line interface, alongside a text prompt: "Extend this scene into a narrow medieval European alleyway with warm afternoon sunlight."

Step 3: The Generation Wait

Once I hit enter, my GPU fans spun up like jet engines. Depending on the complexity and the resolution you ask for, generating a full 3D scene can take anywhere from a few minutes to half an hour. I usually go make coffee while it works.

Step 4: Export and Polish

The model spits out the scene. I prefer working with meshes, so I export the generated file as a standard 3D object format. I import that file straight into Unity. Because the AI generated the entire alleyway at once, the textures match perfectly, and the lighting is baked in a cohesive way.

I still have to do some cleanup. Sometimes the AI makes a window look a little melted, or a trash can merges with a wall. I jump into Blender, fix the weird geometry, and then my level is ready for a player character.

The Brutally Honest Cost Breakdown

Here is the best part: HY-World 2.0 has absolutely no subscription fee. It is entirely open-source under the Apache 2.0 license. You do not pay a monthly tier, and you do not buy credits.

However, "free software" does not mean a "free experience." The true cost of this tool is the hardware required to run it locally. You need serious computing power.

Feature/Cost Factor HY-World 2.0 (Local Setup) Traditional 3D Asset Store Cloud AI Video Generators
Software License $0 / Free (Open Source) Varies ($10 - $200+ per pack) $20 - $100 / month
Hardware Required High-End GPU (RTX 3060 to 4090) Standard PC / Mac Any browser capable device
Asset Consistency Perfect (Generated together) Poor (Mismatched styles) N/A (Cannot export 3D)
Output Format Editable Mesh / 3DGS Editable Mesh Flat Video File (.mp4)
Time to Produce Minutes to Hours Instant (if buying) / Weeks (if modeling) Minutes

Note: There are lightweight versions of the model (like the 2mini) that can run on an RTX 3060 or an Apple M1 Pro with about 6GB of VRAM, but for high-fidelity world generation, you really want a card with 12GB to 24GB of VRAM.

My 5-Star Review Breakdown

User Interface & Setup (★★☆☆☆)

I am giving this two stars because there is no true "interface" for the average user. Setting up the GitHub repository, installing dependencies, and running command lines is incredibly intimidating if you do not have a coding background. It desperately needs a standalone executable app.

Speed & Output Quality (★★★★★)

Once it is running, the quality is staggering. The way it interprets a flat image and understands the spatial depth behind the objects in that image feels like magic. The fact that it outputs clean, usable 3D meshes rather than useless video files makes it an elite production tool.

Value for Money (★★★★★)

It is free. You cannot beat free. If you already own a decent gaming PC or workstation, you suddenly have an entire team of 3D environment artists living on your hard drive at zero additional cost. It completely eliminated my budget for buying generic asset packs.

Frequently Asked Questions

Is HY-World 2.0 really completely free?

Yes, the software and model weights are free to download and use under the open-source license. You only pay for the electricity and the computer hardware required to run it in your own home.

Can I run this on a standard laptop?

Probably not. Unless you have a high-end gaming laptop with a dedicated NVIDIA graphics card (minimum 6GB VRAM for the lowest settings), the program will likely crash out of memory.

Do I own the rights to the 3D models I generate?

Yes. Since you are running the open-source model locally to generate your own assets, you can use those 3D environments in your commercial games or VR projects without paying royalties to Tencent.

Can it generate characters and people?

It is primarily a "world" model, meaning it excels at environments, buildings, rooms, and landscapes. While it can generate statues or human-like shapes within those environments, it is not currently designed to generate fully rigged, animatable character models.

How do I install it if I don't know Python?

Currently, you will struggle. You need to know basic command-line operations to clone the repository and install the requirements. However, the community is rapidly building wrappers for visual node-based interfaces like ComfyUI, which makes it much easier to drag and drop workflows.

Does it work with Blender?

Yes. Because the output is standard 3D formats (like .obj or .fbx depending on your extraction method), you can import the results directly into Blender for further sculpting, retopology, or texture painting.

Conclusion

Creating entire 3D worlds used to be a privilege reserved for massive game studios with armies of environment artists. As an indie developer, trying to piece together a convincing level from store-bought assets was a miserable, expensive failure that almost made me quit my project.

HY-World 2.0 completely solved that bottleneck. By allowing me to type a description and receive a fully editable, structurally sound 3D environment a few minutes later, it gave me my time and my budget back.

You have to be willing to fight through the initial local setup and have the hardware to support it. But if you can clear those hurdles, you will never look at 3D environment design the same way again. Stop buying mismatched assets, download the repository, and let your graphics card build the world for you.

Post a Comment