How I Prototyped 12 Game Concepts in a Single Weekend Using an AI Game Maker and Found the One Worth Building
12 Game Ideas in One Weekend With AI Game Maker — The Honest Prototype Method That Saved Me Weeks
I’m writing this from New York, United States, and I’ll be blunt: I used to waste entire weeks building game ideas that looked clever on paper and felt dead the second I played them.
That was the real trap. I wasn’t failing because I lacked ideas. I was failing because I kept getting emotionally attached to the first idea that seemed promising, then I’d spend days polishing systems, menus, and mechanics before ever asking the only question that mattered: is this actually fun?
So I tried a different approach. I used an AI game maker to prototype 12 game concepts in a single weekend, and I forced myself to test each one immediately before I got attached. Some ideas died in under five minutes. A few made it further. One stood out so clearly that I knew it was worth building for real.
That experiment changed how I think about indie game development. It didn’t just save time. It saved me from months of building the wrong thing.
TL;DR — Key Takeaways
- I stopped treating the first prototype like a baby and started treating it like a test.
- I described each game concept in plain English, generated a playable build fast, and judged it immediately.
- I killed weak ideas before they had a chance to eat my week.
- I found one concept worth building by comparing multiple ideas back-to-back instead of falling in love with one.
- I probably saved myself 4–6 weeks of exploratory coding on this project alone.
Why I Changed My Process
I had one stupid habit that kept burning me: I’d fall in love with the idea before I had any proof it was fun.
That sounds harmless until you realize what it does. It makes you forgive bad pacing, ugly controls, clunky feedback, and weak tension because “it’ll get better later.” It never gets better later if the core loop is boring. You just end up building a more polished version of a weak idea.
I’d also tell myself that “real prototyping” meant a lot of setup. New project folder, placeholder art, partial systems, a little UI, maybe a save structure, maybe a title screen. By the time I’d built all that, I was no longer testing the idea. I was testing my patience.
The AI game maker changed that because it let me move from idea to playable build almost immediately. That mattered more than any flashy feature. Once I could get something on screen in minutes, I stopped guessing and started judging.
My Weekend Prototype Rule
I gave myself three rules before I started:
- I had to describe each concept in plain English.
- I had to get a playable build fast.
- I had to playtest immediately and decide: kill it or keep it.
That’s it. No saving weak ideas because they “might be good later.” No spending hours on menus, lore, or upgrade trees before I knew the loop worked. No pretending a concept was promising just because I liked the theme.
The biggest shift was psychological. I stopped asking, “Can I build this?” and started asking, “Would I still want to play this after five minutes?”
That question cuts through fantasy very quickly.
My Rapid-Prototyping Workflow
Step 1: Write the core loop in plain English
I kept each concept brutally simple. Not a design document. Not a pitch deck. Just a single paragraph that answered:
- What does the player do first?
- What repeats?
- What creates tension?
- What ends a run or session?
For example, I’d write something like:
“Player moves through small rooms, grabs one resource, avoids one threat, and returns to base before the timer runs out.”
That is enough to test the idea. If I need a page of explanation, I’m already too deep.
Step 2: Generate the smallest playable version
I did not ask for a full game. I asked for the smallest version that could be played from start to failure or success.
That usually meant:
- One character
- One objective
- One obstacle
- One failure state
- One feedback loop
A prototype that takes under five minutes to generate is not supposed to be beautiful. It is supposed to be honest. It should tell me whether the loop has energy, not whether the art direction is impressive.
Step 3: Play it immediately
This part matters more than people think.
I didn’t wait until I had “finished” the prototype. I played it as soon as it ran. If the movement felt bad, I noticed. If the loop made no emotional sense, I noticed. If the game already felt repetitive after sixty seconds, that was the point of the exercise.
The faster I played after generation, the less likely I was to rationalize the bad parts.
Step 4: Kill or keep
Every concept got one of two outcomes:
- Kill it if the loop felt flat, confusing, or repetitive.
- Keep it if I wanted to immediately play a second round.
That second reaction is the one I trusted. Not “this seems interesting.” Not “this could be good with more systems.” I mean actual desire to play again.
If the answer was no, the idea died right there.
The 12 Concepts I Tested
I won’t pretend every prototype was brilliant. That would be fake, and it would miss the point.
Here’s how the weekend broke down conceptually:
| Concept Type | First Reaction | Decision |
|---|---|---|
| Resource juggling game | Fun for 2 minutes, then thin | Kill |
| Tiny survival arena | Immediate tension, but repetitive | Kill |
| Puzzle chase game | Clever, but too confusing | Kill |
| Base defense loop | Strong pacing, promising | Keep |
| One-button rhythm combat | Surprisingly sticky | Keep |
| Exploration with limited light | Great mood, weak objective | Kill |
| Delivery game with risk routes | Very promising | Keep |
| Crafting loop | Too much setup, too little payoff | Kill |
| Timed boss dodge prototype | Good pressure, but shallow | Kill |
| Collect-and-escape stealth | Strong enough to revisit | Keep |
| Merge mechanic battler | Oddly addictive | Keep |
| Portal swap puzzle-combat hybrid | Best of the weekend | Keep |
The lesson was not that every good idea looks obvious at first. The lesson was that most bad ideas reveal themselves fast if you stop giving them emotional protection.
What I Got Wrong Early
My worst mistake was falling in love with the first prototype that looked decent.
It wasn’t even the best one. It just had the right vibe. The controls felt okay. The theme was cool. The screen looked active. So I started imagining what it could become if I added more enemies, more upgrades, more polish, more content.
That’s exactly how you waste weeks.
A prototype is not a promise. It is a test. If I keep forgetting that, I end up building around hope instead of evidence. The AI makes this mistake easier to make because it lowers the friction so much that it feels irresponsible not to keep going.
That is the trap.
Why This Saved Me Weeks
The real savings came from what I did not build.
- I didn’t build full save systems for bad ideas.
- I didn’t spend time tuning combat balance for concepts that were never going to land.
- I didn’t create polished menus for prototypes that failed in the first minute.
That matters because exploratory coding has a hidden tax. You think you are “just trying something,” but suddenly you’ve spent four days building scaffolding around a concept you should have rejected on day one.
My estimate is that this workflow saved me about 4–6 weeks of exploratory coding on this project. That number feels fair because I would absolutely have sunk that time into polishing the wrong direction before I knew it was wrong.
What Made the Strong Concepts Different
The keepers all had the same trait: the loop created a decision under pressure.
That was the pattern.
The good ideas didn’t just ask the player to move around or collect things. They forced tradeoffs. Do I go for the reward or stay safe? Do I use the risky route or the long route? Do I spend the resource now or save it for later?
That tension is what made them feel alive.
Here’s the simple filter I used after testing all 12:
| Question | Weak Idea | Strong Idea |
|---|---|---|
| Is there a real decision? | Not really | Yes |
| Does the player feel pressure? | Sometimes | Constantly |
| Does the loop repeat cleanly? | Kinda, but stale | Yes, with variation |
| Do I want another round? | No | Yes |
| Can I explain it in one sentence? | Barely | Easily |
If a game concept can’t answer those questions cleanly, I stop trusting my excitement and start trusting the evidence.
How I Think About AI Game Makers Now
I don’t see the AI game maker as a replacement for design judgment.
I see it as a fast prototype engine for bad ideas and good ideas alike.
That sounds harsh, but I mean it in the best way. It is good at getting something playable in front of me before I invest too much. That changes the entire economics of experimentation. Instead of building one idea for weeks and hoping it’s fun, I can test several ideas in a single weekend and let the results speak for themselves.
The tool doesn’t decide what’s worth building. I do.
And that’s the point. The AI handles speed. I handle taste.
My Actual Prototype Rules Now
These are the rules I now use before I build anything seriously:
- I write the loop in one paragraph.
- I generate the smallest playable version possible.
- I test it within minutes, not hours.
- I compare it against at least one other idea.
- I kill anything that needs me to make excuses for it.
- I only continue with ideas I want to replay immediately.
- I do not add polish before proving the loop.
That last one is the biggest. Polish can disguise weakness. Fun can’t fake itself for long.
5-Star Review Section
Speed ★★★★★
I can go from a rough idea to a playable test faster than I ever could manually. That changes the way I think about risk. It turns idea testing from a slow commitment into a quick decision.
Clarity ★★★★★
The workflow forces me to be honest. I no longer hide behind scope creep or “future improvements.” If the prototype is boring, I know it right away.
Value ★★★★★
The amount of time saved is the real value. Even if I throw away 11 ideas, the one winner can still justify the whole weekend.
FAQ
How do I know if a game prototype is actually fun?
I look for the urge to play again. If I finish a round and immediately want another one, that prototype passed the first real test. If I’m making excuses for it, it failed.
Should I build the full game after one good prototype?
No. I first build one more small test around the same loop to make sure the fun is repeatable. One good session is promising, not proof.
What kind of game ideas are best for fast prototyping?
Simple loops with one main decision work best. Survival, delivery, defense, dodge, puzzle-pressure, and short-run strategy concepts are easy to test quickly.
How many prototypes should I test before picking one?
As many as needed to create contrast. I found 12 concepts in one weekend, and the comparison itself was part of the value. Testing only one idea makes it too easy to get attached.
What is the biggest mistake people make with AI game makers?
They fall in love with the first decent prototype and skip the brutal “is this actually fun?” filter. That’s how weak ideas survive too long.
Can this workflow really save weeks?
Yes. It saved me roughly 4–6 weeks of exploratory coding because I stopped building full systems around weak concepts.
Do I still need to learn game design basics if the AI can generate prototypes?
Absolutely. The AI can help me move faster, but I still need to judge pacing, tension, clarity, and replay value. Without that, I’m just generating faster mistakes.
Conclusion
I used to think progress meant building more. Now I think progress means learning faster.
That’s what this weekend taught me. By prototyping 12 concepts instead of overcommitting to one, I got the truth sooner. I found the one idea worth building, and I avoided wasting weeks on the rest.
The AI game maker didn’t choose the winner for me. It just made the test cheap enough that I could finally be honest.




Post a Comment