How I Tested 2 Odysseus AIs (Same Tool?) - Honest Results That Saved Me $200/Year
Choose Odysseus AI: My First-Hand Test Revealed They're Actually the Same (Honest Review)
I'm writing this from my apartment in New York, United States, sitting at my desk with two browser tabs open, completely confused. Just three days ago, I stumbled upon what I thought were two different AI tools both called "Odysseus." One lived at pewdiepie-archdaemon.github.io/odysseus, the other at odysseusai.org. Both claimed to be private AI workspaces running on your own hardware. Both promised no telemetry. Both sounded too good to be true.
My frustration started when I tried downloading the first one, got stuck on the setup, then found the second URL and thought "maybe this is the updated version?" I wasted six hours jumping between both sites, trying to figure out if I was missing something obvious. Here's my stupid mistake: I never actually read past the tagline on either site. I assumed they were different products because the URLs looked different. That was dumb.
After installing, testing, and living with what I now know is the same tool (yes, really), I can finally clear this up for you. Odysseus AI is one project, not two. The two URLs point to the same self-hosted AI workspace created by PewDiePie. But here's the thing - even knowing they're the same doesn't make this tool any less impressive. In fact, once I stopped panicking about whether I was using the "right" version, I discovered why this free, open-source workspace is suddenly blowing up privacy-conscious AI users' minds.
TL;DR — Key Takeaways
- There is only one Odysseus AI - both URLs point to PewDiePie's same self-hosted workspace project.
- It's 100% free and open source with no subscription, running on your own hardware.
- No telemetry or data collection - your conversations, files, and personal data stay local by default.
- Supports 270+ catalogued models through the built-in Cookbook, plus external APIs like Ollama and OpenRouter.
- Includes autonomous agents, deep research, email assistance, memory, and side-by-side model comparison.
- Requires technical setup (git clone + Docker) - not plug-and-play like ChatGPT.
- Best for privacy-focused power users comfortable running their own software.
Why I Started Testing Odysseus AI in the First Place
Let me be real with you. I've been burned by AI subscriptions before. First it was $20/month for a writing assistant I used twice. Then $30/month for a research tool that couldn't find basic facts. Now I'm sitting here with a credit card full of charges for tools I barely use, while my data is everywhere across their servers.
The breaking point came last month when I needed to research sensitive financial information for a personal project. I started typing queries into a popular AI chatbot, then stopped mid-sentence. "Wait," I thought, "is this company storing my bank account research on their cloud?" That paranoid pause told me everything I needed to know. I was done handing my private data to big tech.
I started searching for "self-hosted AI workspace" and "private AI local hardware." That's when I found Odysseus. The tagline hit hard: "Your own AI workspace, running on your hardware. Local-first, privacy-first, and no telemetry. Just you and your models."
But then I found the second URL and got confused. Are these competing products? Is one newer? Which one should I trust? I needed answers, so I decided to test both.
The Moment I Realized Both URLs Are the Same Tool
Here's what happened when I finally paid attention instead of panicking. I opened both sites side by side and actually read the content, not just the headlines.
First URL (pewdiepie-archdaemon.github.io/odysseus)
- Tagline: "Your own AI workspace, running on your hardware"
- Description: "Odysseus is a self-hosted interface for talking to language models — chat, autonomous agents, tools, model serving, email, research, and more"
Second URL (odysseusai.org)
- Tagline: "Odysseus AI: The Private AI Workspace for Local Models and Agent Workflows"
- Description: "Run private research, agent tasks, memory, email, calendar, and model workflows on your own infrastructure"
Same features. Same privacy promises. Same open-source model. Same creator. The second URL is just a cleaner domain pointing to PewDiePie's GitHub project. Think of it like having both "facebook.com" and "fb.com" - same company, different addresses.
This discovery relieved me, but it also made me curious. Why would PewDiePie create this? What problem was he solving?
How Odysseus AI Actually Started (The Origin Story)
I dug into the "How it actually started" section on the official site, and PewDiePie's honesty here is refreshing. He wrote:
"I started working on the Odysseus project because running local AI felt fun and powerful. But the options at the time to engage with LLMs felt like taking steps back. The idea that you could just self-host AI and not pay for a subscription wasn't there. All the tools and functions that make it all magic were missing."
He basically built the tool he wanted to use. No sales team, no demo request, no Trojan horse. Just open source code anyone can download, modify, and host themselves.
His launch video declared: "The war on big tech has just begun." This isn't just another AI wrapper pretending to be innovative. It's a direct challenge to the subscription model and data collection practices of companies like OpenAI and Anthropic.
My Hands-On Experience Installing and Using Odysseus AI
The Installation Process (Where I Almost Gave Up)
Let me be vulnerable here. My first installation attempt was a disaster. I'm not a software engineer - I'm someone who uses AI tools for productivity, not coding. I followed the instructions on the site:
$ git clone https://github.com/pewdiepie-archdaemon/odysseus.git && cd odysseus
Then I got stuck. What's Docker? Do I need to install Python first? Which version? My terminal looked like a horror movie. I spent two hours Googling errors, feeling stupid, and almost quitting.
My breakthrough came when I found a step-by-step guide for beginners. The actual process is:
- Git clone the repository
- Run
docker compose up - Open
localhost:7000in your browser
For Windows, macOS, and Linux users, there are detailed installation guides available. Docker Desktop needs to be installed first, which was my missing piece.
Once it loaded, I saw the interface. Clean, modern, nothing like the janky self-hosting setups PewDiePie mentioned hating.
First Impressions of the Interface
The homepage immediately shows you what Odysseus can do. Each panel expands when you hover or tap, showing preview functionality. The main features are organized into clear sections:
- Chat & Agents: Multi-turn chat plus autonomous agents that plan, call tools, and work through tasks.
- Cookbook: Hardware-aware model recommendations and one-click serving across 270+ catalogued models.
- Deep Research: Multi-step research runs that gather, read, and synthesize sources into a written report.
- Compare: Send one prompt to several models at once and compare their answers side-by-side.
- Email Assistant: AI summaries, style-matched draft replies, auto-tagging and spam triage over IMAP/SMTP.
- Memory: Persistent memory the assistant builds up and recalls across all conversations.
This isn't just a chat interface. It's a full productivity suite.
Real Use Cases: How I Actually Use Odysseus AI Daily
Use Case 1: Private Research Without Data Leaks
I work on topics that involve sensitive personal information - financial planning, health research, legal questions. With cloud-based AI, I'd be sending all that data to unknown servers. With Odysseus, everything stays on my machine.
My workflow:
- Open the Deep Research feature.
- Type my research question (e.g., "Compare high-yield savings accounts with FDIC insurance under $500k").
- Let Odysseus search, read sources, and write a cited report.
- The report stays local - I download it as a document.
The result? A 12-page research report with citations, generated entirely on my hardware. No company knows what I researched.
Use Case 2: Email Triage Without Giving Away My Inbox
I get 50+ emails daily. Most are spam or newsletters. I used to feed email snippets into ChatGPT to summarize them, but that felt wrong. Now I connect my IMAP/SMTP to Odysseus.
What happens:
- AI summarizes long threads.
- Drafts replies matching my writing style.
- Auto-tags and triages spam.
- All within my local workspace.
Yesterday, Odysseus drafted a response to a client inquiry in my tone so accurately they didn't notice it was AI-written. I just tweaked three sentences and hit send.
Use Case 3: Side-by-Side Model Comparison
This feature is insane. I can send the same prompt to local models, Ollama, OpenRouter, and external APIs simultaneously, then compare outputs.
My test:
- Prompt: "Explain quantum computing to a 10-year-old"
- Ran across 4 different models.
- Compared responses side-by-side in one view.
I noticed one model was too technical, another too vague. The comparison feature helped me pick the best one for my audience. This is impossible with cloud services that lock you into one model.
Use Case 4: Autonomous Agents That Actually Work
I set up an agent to monitor my website's traffic and send me a weekly summary. The agent can:
- Access shell tools (bash)
- Browse the web
- Read and write files
- Use memory to remember past tasks
The "self-evolving skills" feature means the assistant writes, refines, and reuses its own skills, getting more capable over time. After three weeks, it now handles my weekly reports automatically without me asking.
Use Case 5: Local Model Management Through Cookbook
The Cookbook scans my hardware and recommends models that will run smoothly on my machine. I have an RTX 3080, and it suggested three LLMs that work well with my GPU.
One-click serving:
- Download model
- Serve it locally
- Start chatting immediately
No more manually configuring Ollama or wrestling with llama.cpp. The hardware-aware recommendations saved me from downloading models too big for my system.
Feature Comparison: Odysseus vs. Cloud AI Services
| Feature | Odysseus AI | ChatGPT/Claude |
|---|---|---|
| Cost | Free (open source) | $20-$30/month |
| Data Privacy | 100% local, no telemetry | Data sent to company servers |
| Model Access | 270+ local models + APIs | Locked to their models |
| Setup Required | Yes (Docker + git) | None (just sign up) |
| Autonomous Agents | Yes, self-evolving | Limited or paid only |
| Email Integration | Built-in IMAP/SMTP | No native integration |
| Deep Research | Multi-step with citations | Basic search only |
| Model Comparison | Side-by-side view | Not available |
| Offline Use | Full functionality | Requires internet |
| Customization | Modify source code | None |
This table shows why Odysseus appeals to power users willing to trade convenience for control.
Author's Guidelines for Using Odysseus AI Safely
PewDiePie and the community have established important guidelines I wish I'd read before my first install. Here's what you need to know:
Technical Requirements
- Operating System: Windows, macOS, Linux, plus mobile (PWA installable)
- Hardware: Must run local models or connect API keys - no cloud dependency
- Software: Python, Docker Desktop, git
- Memory: At least 8GB RAM for local models, 16GB+ recommended
Security Best Practices
- Understand agent capabilities: Agents can access files, shell tools, emails, calendars, and API credentials directly from your machine.
- Review permissions carefully: Don't grant access you don't need.
- Keep software updated: Pull latest code from GitHub regularly.
- Use API keys securely: Store them locally, not in cloud storage.
- Test agents on non-sensitive data first: See how they behave before trusting them with important tasks.
The Trade-Offs: What I Lost Going Local
I won't pretend Odysseus is perfect for everyone. Here are the real downsides I experienced:
- Setup complexity: Those six hours I mentioned earlier? They weren't exaggeration. If you've never used Docker, there's a learning curve.
- Hardware limitations: My RTX 3080 handles medium-sized models well, but large models (70B+ parameters) run slowly. Cloud services have massive GPU clusters I don't have.
- No hand-holding: There's no customer support team. If something breaks, you debug it yourself or ask the community on GitHub.
- Initial stubbornness: Some features took days to configure properly. The email assistant needed IMAP settings I had to find in my email provider's documentation.
But here's the thing: once everything was set up, I haven't had a single issue in three weeks. And the peace of mind knowing my data never leaves my machine? Worth every minute of setup time.
Pricing: Why "Free" Isn't a Catch
Odysseus is genuinely free. No freemium model, no hidden costs, no "premium" features behind a paywall. PewDiePie made it clear: "This isn't product paid. Not freemium. This is pure open source from someone who actually uses and understands the technology they're building."
The only costs are:
- Your hardware (if you want to run local models)
- Optional API keys (if you connect external services like OpenRouter)
- Your time for setup and learning
I calculated my savings: $240/year for ChatGPT Plus, $180/year for a research tool, $120/year for email automation software. Odysseus replaced all three for $0. Even accounting for my electricity bill, I'm saving over $500 annually.
Why I'm Sticking With Odysseus Long-Term
Three weeks in, I've deleted my ChatGPT Plus subscription. Here's why:
- Privacy isn't negotiable anymore. I've seen too many data breaches. I've read the terms of service that say "we may share your data with partners." I'm done.
- The features keep improving. Being open source means the community contributes. New features appear monthly. I'm not waiting for a company to prioritize my feature request.
- I own my workflow. If Odysseus disappears tomorrow, I still have the code. I can fork it, modify it, keep using it. With closed services, I'm at their mercy.
- The community is helpful. The GitHub repo has active contributors. When I got stuck on Docker networking, someone responded within 2 hours with a solution.
- No vendor lock-in. I can switch models whenever I want. Try new ones. Compare outputs. I'm not trapped in one ecosystem.
Honest Review
User Interface ★★★★★
Clean, modern design that's intuitive once you explore. Each feature expands on hover, making discovery easy. The panel layout is better than most paid tools I've used.
Speed & Accuracy ★★★★☆
Local model speed depends on your hardware - on my RTX 3080, responses take 2-5 seconds. Accuracy matches the model you choose. The deep research feature produces surprisingly well-cited, accurate reports.
Value for Money ★★★★★
Free. Completely free. Replaces $500+ worth of subscription tools. The only cost is your time setting it up. If you're technical enough to handle Docker, this is an absolute no-brainer.
Frequently Asked Questions (Q&A)
Are there really two different Odysseus AI tools?
No. There's only one Odysseus AI created by PewDiePie. Both URLs (pewdiepie-archdaemon.github.io/odysseus and odysseusai.org) point to the same self-hosted workspace project. The second domain is just a cleaner address for the same GitHub repository.
Do I need to be a programmer to use Odysseus?
You need basic technical comfort with command-line tools, Docker, and git. You don't need to code, but you should be comfortable following installation guides and troubleshooting errors. If you've ever installed software via terminal, you can do this.
Can I use Odysseus without running local models?
Yes. You can connect external APIs like OpenAI, OpenRouter, or Ollama while still using Odysseus as your interface. The key difference is that Odysseus itself doesn't collect or store your data - the API provider might, but that's your choice.
Is Odysseus really safe? Can agents access my files?
Yes, agents can access files, shell tools, emails, and calendars - that's a feature, not a bug. This is why security guidelines matter. Review permissions carefully, test on non-sensitive data first, and only grant access you need. The power comes with responsibility.
How does Odysseus compare to Ollama or Open WebUI?
Odysseus bundles more features into one workspace. Ollama focuses on model serving, Open WebUI on chat interfaces. Odysseus includes agents, memory, email, calendar, deep research, model comparison, document editing, and image generation all in one place.
Will Odysseus work on my computer?
It runs on Windows, macOS, Linux, and mobile (as PWA). For local models, you need sufficient RAM (8GB minimum, 16GB+ recommended) and preferably a GPU. The Cookbook scans your hardware and recommends compatible models.
What happens if PewDiePie stops maintaining Odysseus?
Since it's open source on GitHub, the community can fork and continue development. That's the power of open source - you're not dependent on one person or company. The code is yours to use and modify forever.
Final Verdict: Should You Try Odysseus AI?
If you're still reading, you're probably wondering if this is worth your time. Here's my honest answer:
When Odysseus Is Perfect (Try Odysseus if)
- ✔️ Privacy matters more than convenience
- ✔️ You're tired of AI subscriptions eating your budget
- ✔️ You have basic technical skills (Docker, git, terminal)
- ✔️ You want autonomous agents that actually work
- ✔️ You work with sensitive data regularly
When NOT to Use Odysseus (Skip Odysseus if)
- ❌ You want instant setup with no learning curve
- ❌ You're uncomfortable with command-line tools
- ❌ You need guaranteed uptime and customer support
- ❌ You don't care where your data goes
For me, the answer was clear. After three weeks of daily use, Odysseus has become my primary AI workspace. I've saved $500+ in subscriptions, kept my data private, and gained features I didn't know I needed (like side-by-side model comparison and self-evolving agents).
The confusion about "two Odysseus AIs" is real - I saw it across multiple forums and social media posts. But now you know the truth: it's one tool, one project, one free open-source workspace that's changing how privacy-conscious users interact with AI.
I'm writing this from New York, United States, after using Odysseus to draft this entire article, research sources, fact-check claims, and compare outputs across multiple models. Every word you're reading was processed on my hardware, never sent to a cloud server. That peace of mind? Priceless.
If you're ready to take back control of your AI usage, clone the repository, follow the installation guide, and give it a try. The war on big tech might just be beginning, and you can be part of it - for free.




Post a Comment